These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Monday, June 17, 2013

What is fun?



I read somewhere that fun is the American alternative to pleasure. In a facebook message yesterday, my mom asked if I was “having fun yet?” and I took offense. But I have two stories to tell today, because I had fun on Thursday and I had pleasure on Friday.

On Thursday a work-dude was kind enough to invite me to go to a movie with him and some of his friends. We saw “The Bling Ring” because it was in some way connected to Sophia Coppolla, but that did nothing to excuse it. The best part of it was “can I have a 5 mg Adderall mommy?” “of course honey.” I tried to explain how that was the most honest representation of America in the film, but I’m not sure that it got through. I’m actually pretty sure that the didn’t even translate the other Adderall joke, when the girls got up in the morning and all took a pill with breakfast.

After the movie el work-dude and el office-mate were hungry, so we went to MacDonalds. I was floored. They have electronic ordering systems on the wall, so you pay for everything and then just hand a ticket to the person at the front and they get you the food. It would not be that hard to replace everyone in MDs with a robot. It has begun.

They ate, then we went to a friend of their’s (ex-stagiare as well) apartment, and had some wine before going to a bar. It was my first subway ride in Toulouse, which was exciting.

The bar was awesome. It was somehow Spanish themed, and the point is to dance on the tables. We drank sangria (weird sangria…) and then yeah, we danced on the tables. The best songs were “I’m gonna getcha” and “Thrift Shop.” At one point I thought they were gonna play 212 but it ended up just being a remix. I got real excited though.

I met someone else who is involved with the IMFT somehow, and he asked me if I liked office-mate. I said yes, because what the hell. He said he though office-mate liked me too and I should talk to him because office-mate is really shy. I told him to calm down, which he thought was funny. He also immediately told the 2 other guys dancing on the tables, so I flipped him off which is apparently not the done thing in these parts but at least it changed the subject.

I did talk to office-mate a little, but I don’t think it’s a great idea to hook up with someone who shares an office with you. But he’s so adorable, so…

He left early though, and I danced a bit more and then left. Work-dude walked me home, kinda awkward.

Their end of classes party was on Friday, but I decided not to follow that up because it’s basically their Renn Fayre and that is sacred. Even if they obviously don’t have the same kinda blow-out as we do, it’s still sacred to me.

Instead, I had a pretty good day at work (we argued about wine, which was really fun) and then brought some books to the riverside. I lay in the evening sun and finished Disgrace, and continued with Mythologies, and only got asked out twice. Mythologies is gonna be a long term project, but Disgrace blew my mind. I think it has the most perfect ending of any book I’ve ever read. I can see why this guy won the Nobel prize for lit, maybe even more so than after I finished The Bluest Eye just two weeks ago.

After the sun was getting to be really setting, the grassy area by the side of the river was getting really packed. So I started walking home, but I got distracted by the sunset on the Garonne and the fact that “Take Me to the River” was about to come on. Talking Heads and Sunset is a combination I highly recommend. I guess Talking Heads and Sunrise is the more popular combo.

Home, journal and a cup of whole milk, a little bit of Bienvenue Chez les Chtis, and then sleep. I may have just slept for 12 hours. I don’t care, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment