These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mysterious Angst




I don't understand how depression makes some people creative.
I'm not even very depressed and I feel trapped by it. It invalidates my ideas and makes everything difficult. It makes things that can wait (or must wait) feel frighteningly pressing and everything that needs to happen right now is somehow delayed because I can't bear to be done with it.

It's not that I'm not doing anything. It's that everything I'm doing loses its value. I would be proud of the reading I've done, the writing I've done, the people I've met. But I just feel vaguely disappointed in how much I've learned and in The Beautiful and Damned (which may be a source of some of this ennui).

I must be happy. But seeking happiness to be happy feels like googling “how do I laugh?” I need something bigger to be happy.

I also need the sadness to stop manifesting itself physically. If I could just ignore it, if I didn't feel the pain in my stomach, or the heaviness in the bridge of my nose, the ringing in my ear. It's speaking to me, maybe it's yelling at me, telling me that it's there. I can only stand here helplessly. What is sadness? What do you want?

I haven't earned sadness, no more than my internship of interminable reading. That's why it doesn't sit well with me. I am so nearly cosmically obliged to be happy that I have no arsenal to battle sadness. The reasons for it are so small that I can't imagine how it bloomed in such arid soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment