These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Elements of goddamn motherfucking style


I've started The Scarlet Letter. Nathaniel Hawthorne is the front-man of King Comma, my second favorite progressive rock band. Sometimes my commas get out of control too, as I'm sure you've noticed. I have composite thoughts! There's nothing I can do! Except, of course, to adopt staccato exclamation marks as a coping mechanism. What I mean to say is I hope it doesn't rub off on me.

Madame Nin, on the other hand, was a master of balanced sentence structure. She very naturally wrote sentences of a reasonable length without any extra clauses. They read smoothly, too. I will have to read House of Incest and Winter of Artifice, but until I get my hands on them I have her erotica to guide me. Wink.

Hawthorne is also adept at the sarcastic ad hominid. I just read 15 pages of the most intricate character assassination ever attempted. His arrow struck true, as well. He may as well have described his coworkers as the most adept bike thieves, baby-pinchers, and skilled opera-house-exhibitionists he had could ever have imagined. I thought this book was supposed to be dramatic and historical, but so far it's uproariously funny. It is not entirely out of character for High School English classes to be highly misleading, and I guess this was no exception. I have good memories of Junior year English, however, for without it I would never have read The Things They Carried and my introduction to The Great Gatsby would have been at the very least delayed.

I am glad to pay a bit more attention to style. I felt that journaling was degrading it over the school year. My writing had little reflection, as a turbulent river of emotion leaves few eddies still enough to look into. Holla atcha flooid mekanix. #tolerancebreak2k13.
Well that escalated quickly...

No comments:

Post a Comment