These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Manifestation Anti-Fasciste, Pro-Sexiste



Weekend #1 in Toulouse: It’s whatever. It started off with a plan to go to Carcassonne by train at 8 am on Saturday. At 7:30 I was meandering towards the station and saw posters for a protest happening at 2 pm that day. Underneath that poster was another that advertised an electronic music concert. I was tempted to do those things instead of go to Carcassonne, but decided to continue with my original plan.
Then I ran into an open-air market and decided to stay in town. I finally got some good cheese, good bread, fresh lettuce, fresh tomatoes, avocados… good things. I left laden with bags and happily nibbling on cherries all the way home. They weren’t as good as Madrid cherries, though. I need to find out what France’s specialty is and get a lot of those. I think it might be strawberries.
Then I read books and napped until 2, when I got dressed again and headed to the protest. I got a copy of their manifesto and looked it over while we stood in the drizzling rain. It said that they represented the immigrants and gays and everyone the fascists were being assholes to, and attacking, etc. Fair. But then it said: No more fascists in our neighborhood, no more neighborhoods for fascists, get out get out etc.
That is so IRONIC. The fascists tell you to get out get out and then you tell them to get out get out, well, um, that seems really effective on both sides. Why are you protesting fascists? The real problem is with fascism, and sometimes I feel like the only way to deal with fascists is to make them politically and culturally irrelevant and then wait for them to die. Fascism and fascists are different things. Anyways, I marched with the old people who had flags for human rights and peace movements instead of the young communists. I was wearing a red scarf and didn’t want to get confused for one.
Eventually I got bored of the cute, sweet old people, and walked up to the front of the march to see what was going on. That is when I discovered that they were explicitly protesting the murder of a young anti-fascist. There was a group at the front with a big banner making a ruckus and chanting and then the rest of the crowd was either quiet or talking amongst themselves. Lots of flags though, for a lot of different extreme leftist groups: communists, anarchists, peace activists, you know the type.
As I was walking up to the front of the parade, I noticed that the back of a sign made from a cardboard box said “fragile.” I thought to myself that “Fragile, this side up” might be a good political slogan with fragile referring to human rights or something and this side referring to a political group. I laughed a little and continued on my way. At the front of the march it was all very exciting and yell-y and police everywhere. They were chanting “Toulouse Anti-Fasciste” over and over.
Then this man, in his late 30s wearing a green military-reminiscent jacket, starts running across the road. He runs right up to me and says (in French of course) “Does the death of a young anti-fascist make you laugh?”
I’m totally shocked and I say, for lack of any other response: “no…”
“Well, I saw you laughing back there, and maybe you think that the murder of this man was funny.”
“No, no”
Then he ran back across the road, literally all the way across a 3-4 lane road back to where he started.
Let me digress a little bit about being a girl alone on a street in Toulouse.
I get yelled at more than 5 times a day: “Hey little girl,” “it suits you, having your backpack strap between your breasts,” “do you want to adopt me,” “~strange chicken noises?~” “Heee-lllllooo-ooooh….” (All translated of course). Any time of day, I swear. It’s worse coming home from work, of course, because there are more people around, but the strange chicken noises occurred at 8:30 this morning so misogyny clearly doesn’t sleep.
And this random asshole at a protests who decides that by smiling I’m a fascist?
Well I think he’s a sexist for deciding that because a girl is by herself he has the right to exploit her vulnerability. Yeah, I’m vulnerable when I’m by myself. Why? Because I don’t expect to be fucking insulted to my face at any second. On top of that, I don’t want to walk around with my defenses up. That’s not who I am.
I don’t know what to say when these people are mean to me, it doesn’t make any sense. Should I just flip them all off? Will that help? Should I walk up to them and say “Hi, my name is Julia and it really bothers me when people harass me on the street?” It’s way harder to do all of this in French of course, but maybe I should try to introduce myself. For now I mostly just ignore them but it ruins my fucking day, I swear.
And I actually wouldn’t care if they weren’t assholes about it. The last time I was here, a guy walking by just said “Oh my god you’re so beautiful” and carried on. That’s totally fine, I’m down to be complimented. The only nice thing a guy has said to me on the street was “I like your style.” And that made up for all the other shit I’d put up with that day. It really doesn’t take a whole lot, either way.
That man at the protest was just too much. I felt like an idiot for being so hurt by it, but it was really awful. What part of me was so offensive to him that he needed to come be a dick? Was it really me laughing to myself about a fucking protest sign and not taking the world as seriously as he does?
I’m done. Okay, so that’s day one. I didn’t go to the concert, I just stayed home and read and watched the director’s commentary on I’m not there and ate food.
Today I also tried to go to Carcassonne but my debit card didn’t work so I decided not to go since I should really sort that out before I go rolling off to distant lands. Instead I came back home and finished Songs of the Doomed and then went to a hydroelectric power museum that is just down the street from my dorm. I’ll go back for a guided tour, because that’s really what it’s meant for, but they had a photo exhibit that I know I’ll come back to also. I don’t remember the photographer, but there were a lot of pictures of Johnny Hallyday then the Beatles, McJagger and the Stones, and even a few of Bob Dylan too. They’re really lively and not too studied and I want to go back there and write in a journal for a while. I love arting around art, that’s really why I need to start an artist’s collective. It also made me want a nice camera again. I think I could get really into photography.
Well, now that I’ve written a small novel I guess I’ll be done here. Suggestions on how to deal with assholes in the street greatly appreciated. I’ve never been faced with this many of them before.

No comments:

Post a Comment