These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Midweek Weekend /Or/ True Vacation Day 2

I offered to drive them down to Corvallis, or at least to the truck stop they wanted to hitchhike from. I suppose I might have robbed them of some adventure by taking them all the way to Eugene in one fell swoop, but I couldn't help myself. I like being useful, of course, but I selfishly wanted to spend another day with the anarchists.
It was cold and wet, they might have been rained on.
The trip began inauspiciously with the catastrophe of having forgotten the garbage bag full of reclaimed bagels. The rest of the drive is a blur of charming revolutionary chants, such as "ADD DTF." 
Someone was saving their adderall for later in the trip. 

With last night's homemade mead still imposing it's dastardly nausea on my stomach, I watched the rest of our merry band nibble on french fries. Seduced by their golden aura, I got some too. Braving the vengeance of my hangover,we trotted off through Eugene. Suddenly it was sleeting on us and we took shelter under the awning of the Bijou. We waited until the icy onslaught had abated, and clomped through the snow. I had just repainted my left cowboy boot, the green bird replaced with a sprawling brown spider (I'm maturing, you see). Something in the snow ate at the spider, however. The rest of the paint stayed on fine, but the body of the spider pealed off and showed the bright green of the old design. Just the spider's body.

I'm not sure if I'm nostalgic for the old paint. It was definitely a fixture. My dormie asked what I would take from my room if I could only take one thing. I said my boots. I couldn't think of anything else. But they have a strange draw.

Honestly, when I describe why Eugene was one of the best days of break, I say that I laughed all day. And that's true. There was nothing particularly special about the cafe we sat in, the sweet milky black tea that we drank, or the sleet evaporating from S's hat. I just laughed.
What's really strange is that I barely spoke. I'm not an introvert. I have a large presence, usually. But I didn't have much to say and I was hungover and I don't know anything about the multiple Maoist sects in Portland. But I just sat there and laughed till my abs hurt. It was fantastic.

~Unfinished post and now it's been too long to really recap the rest of the day/night. We exchanged horrific stories from high school and heard what happens when you follow a meth-head home at 2 am. ~

No comments:

Post a Comment