These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

the downside

As I think more about writing the lists of tips for being a writer that pop up on the internet are suddenly addressed to me. I don't like them. I disagree. Stop talking to me like I need your help.

I think that's another reason why I would rather be a scientist than an artist. Surprisingly, I feel like there is less societal baggage around what it means to be the former, even though the latter is so much broader. I think it's because of the myth that scientific authority is not contingent. As if artistic authority is any more or less so.

Another convenient aspect of identifying as a scientist is that most of the world knows that they are unsure of what a scientist is. Everyone knows what an artist is, of course.

I love it when artists turn out to be ~something else~ like an engineer or whatever. Because then it proves that the category is open. Though I also tend to hold them to a higher standard. How dare you branch out unless you truly deserve to be two things!?!

I got sick yesterday and I'm sicker today and these are the musings that come from a slouched frame and a heavy head in chair the color of incense.

No comments:

Post a Comment