These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Monday, March 16, 2015

No, future, you don't get to hear about the important stuff like events and what my life actually is

I'll only know what the important stuff is in retrospect anyways.

So, instead, I write about little feelings that make me want to write. Who remembers how to chronicle adventures? Not this girl. I could write about yesterday's drive I suppose, but...

I've been looking through a Reed-dropout's comic-drawing blog while I procrastinate on starting my thesis programs. I notice two main things: the fluctuations in quality and the metacontent. The first interests me because of the way that I do things with my writing. This collection is largely unedited, unplanned, and therefore really not my best work. Hell, it's technically my worst work, since I don't put anything I do for school or work on here in case someone checks for plagiarism and finds the blog. I guess I put a few things up from previous years, and I'll definitely let my creative writing assignments join the diary since they are really just polished versions of the same exercise. Back to the point: some of the pieces she put up were very polished, some were sketches, and I wondered if they belong in the same place. When I graduate I expect to start a new online presence. My plan is: I'll get a website, and attach a professional blog to that, and I'll start a new personal blog that I expect my friends will read for a few weeks and get bored of (like this one). Maybe I'll write a newsletter that I can put on a password protected part of my professional blog? Anyways, I think I'll reorganize my internet presence.

Wow, I really derailed. Basically, the quality differential reminded me of the power of really polished pieces. I've been reminded of that by sharing my creative writing assignments too. I want to figure out a way to keep writing polished work after the class is over.

Part two: metacontent. I love metacontent. All content is really about the form, about writing, anyways. But metacontent makes me dig that out of the parts that aren't direct.

The way that her blog had metacontent was very tumblr, of course. The content is picture posts, the meta is text posts, but it still flowed very naturally. I was never surprised by her feelings in contrast to her work. I like that her work exhibited her trepidation and excitement to be trying to turn her passion into her life.

I wonder how I would do it. I don't think that this blog always shows what I feel about writing. Maybe I've been feeling more than usual. Do I take it too seriously? Not seriously enough?

I don't think anyone knows how much I like to write. I don't think I do. Why do I hide this from people? I guess I worry that it's presumptuous to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment