These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Drugs, Writing, and Magical Realism

Look, I'm not an English major. I was almost a French major, but, hear me out.
I think I'm drawn to literature about drugs, and even writing about them myself, because they create a world that's like the real one, is the real one, yet is totally parallel. I've only read one book that fell under the genre of "magical realism" (Bless Me, Ultima and I was really bored by it) but I think there are some similarities.
In the really harsh definitions of magical realism, they demand that there is magic, but in this definition that I stole from wikipedia there is no demand for that : "...man as a mystery surrounded by realistic facts. A poetic prediction or a poetic denial of reality. What for lack of another name could be called magical realism."
Junkie and Trainspotting demonstrate a fundamental poetic denial of reality. Heroin creates an alternative set of goals, an alternative hierarchy, an alternative mental state that exists inside of the real world. Hunter S. Thompson uses drug-addled adventures to create poetic predictions about the state of society and the future of the world. The American Dream is dead because while he hunts for it in this crazed state, the perfect way to find it, he can only see its shadow. 
In The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test the Merry Pranksters are in a tribe within a tribe. Counterculture within counterculture within Culture. Their emotions and their desires are based on experiences outside of the mundane world, yet must take place within it. Their motivations are mysteries.
I guess I should read 100 Years of Solitude and maybe some Borges and then we'll see if the comparison stands. I've just been looking for a genre to put all of this into, and I'm coming up short. I know my brother got me Naked Lunch for Christmas, so I'm excited to continue my obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment