These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Old Haunts Part One Point One Franklin Park.


The symmetry of visiting all of my old haunts in one trip was broken by pragmatism. This break was sanded and reinforced by an easy differentiation. Some were chosen based on convenience, while the others had to be sought and earned as if stripes on the shoulder of an adventurer’s jacket. But those easy access joints that were simply presented, offered, and by a cosmic pattern thrust into my life hold me just as firmly as the places I have all to myself. If they have come to mean anything to me, it’s through a process, not an event.
Franklin Park, just a stroll south of my red brick high school, is a place I came to by convenience. It was far enough away from school to no longer feel oppressed by the institution of learning, but close enough to fully appreciate in the span of a forty minute lunch break.  The park had a reputation, however, that kept most of the school from treading on its field or experiencing the thrills of pendular motion on its swingset. A specific corner of the park was where the senior potheads made their dark and slouching home. This spawned the nickname “Stoner Park,” closing the refuge to use by the squares. This kept my friends from accompanying me, and earned a few confused glances from my cannabinoid-puffing peers.
I came for the swingset. I have never felt strong, from my head to my toes. Sometimes between my ankles and hips merits the adjective, but never my whole body. If I played on the swings for an hour and a half, my arms and abs would both be sore. I loved the feeling. This simple exhilaration brought me back regularly.
The swingset gave me more than a mild workout. It gave me some of the crystal clearest visual memories of that time of my life. I remember one day, in a moderate downpour, when I found that with a certain amount of vigor I could end up falling at the exact rate of the rain. A rainstorm makes every field of vision full of motion, but I could freeze that and see the world slower than a camera lens. No blur, only ever drop falling in front of drenched trees and sodden houses. Falling with me.
Another night, I fell from an imperial dark blue sky, glinting its power from a thousand points. My long hair barely glowed with its fresh coat of purple in the glow of sporadic streetlights. A feather dangling from my ear sneakily absorbed pigment from the unprofessional rinsing job my purple hands had performed an hour before. I felt small, but very much myself.  I felt alone, but with the potential for company. I decided to find someone I could feel alone with, as a long term life goal. I thought it would make me happy.
Then I left to play Trine with Graham and Ryan and learn of my virtual inadequacies as both an archer and a wizard. Though I did not identify with the character of Fat Armored Thug, I appreciated that he allowed me not to ruin everything all the time. And all of this belongs to Franklin Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment