These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Monday, September 5, 2011

SLUR. This is How to Do Friday Nights.

There is a tradition at Reed (biweekly, thank god, or my Friday nights would all be exactly the same) of getting drunk and singing. Yes, excellent songs. My favorites are the improvised songs. “A drop of Nelson’s Blood” is the first verse, and then it gets substituted out with lyrics like “getting fucking laid” or “another fucking beer” or “a three day fucking weekend” whatever. Also, they don’t all include profanity, just the ones I remember. Sometimes they get very Greek and Hum-reference-y, mega classy. Those are my favorites.
Oh, a drop of Nelson’s Blood wouldn’t do us any harm,
No a drop of Nelson’s Blood wouldn’t do us any harm,
Oh a drop of Nelson’s Blood wouldn’t do us any harm,
And we’ll all hold on behind.
And we’ll roll the old chariot along
We’ll roll the old chariot along
We’ll roll the old chariot along
And we’ll all hang on behind.
          Simple enough. This is good because it’s hard to read when you’re drunk and it’s dark. You are given the opportunity to make your own verse by holding your beer can to your forehead. Then, gradually, everyone points their elbows at you. It’s very interesting. Also, people are hilarious, loud, crass, and intelligent. It’s a bloody brilliant combination. There are classic songs too, most are in Rise Up Singing.
                There are a million cool student run organizations/events. The Fungus Among Us isn’t founded on quite so excellent a principle, but fuck it, it’ll be brilliant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment