These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Monday, July 22, 2013

C'etait bien, les vacances


The alps are more than I remember. I, who can never be bothered to take out a camera, took so many pictures. The problem is that my head cannot hold an accurate memory of the alps. Every time I looked up from a path I was struck again by the enormity of the mountains. Every time I felt the need to remember it better. Why are they so far beyond my ability to store beauty?

I am home again. The rent is late and the air is hot, but I have nothing to manage and so life is manageable. My nose is still pealing from alpine sunburn. I was closer to the sun, so it was more mordant. I was very close to the sun.

I don't know what mood is coming, but a feel a change. This heat, these books, this stage in my journey... I am at a threshold. Two days ago I cried, yesterday I Slept, today stagger like a lock following the blade of a knife, wearing down to give way to something great.

I saw a movie of little consequence today, but it was set in Washington. In the winter in Washington. The green and the trees and the sea and the voices came back to me. At a party which was the cause of the Great Sleep, someone asked me if I was impatient to go home. I answered no, but that is only half true. I am not unhappy here, but I do want to go home. I don't get to go home right away, but when I finally get there the wave will have crested an I will run out and get everyone's feet wet before they see what's coming. There will be cool breezes.

Here there are cool breezes, but they are artificially procured by means of a fan which I bought today, and sing into now to hear the choppy little reflections. Then I spent almost as much money on a 170 page book, but I think more J.M. Coetzee is what I need. I think Disgrace was the most important book I read this summer. We will see what comes of Waiting for the Barbarians.

I think that they will write an article from my research on biofilms. It feels less hopeless, at least, though it is still far from invigorating.

So for now, I will wait-to-see-what-comes. That's not really waiting. I hate waiting. This is just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment