These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Saturday, November 1, 2014

This unfortunate tendency to begin books or chapters of books with a quotation

Am I supposed to be reminded that the book is in conversation with elements of culture from the past? Am I supposed to remember that other people have thought the same thoughts, maybe more neatly than this book or my interpretation of it will arrive at? Do I disagree?

I think that the place for a quotation is after all is said and done. I don't want to read a chapter  contextualized by a sentence, but I will react to a sentence based on the chapter. In fact, when I finish a chapter or a book I almost want something to react to. Not to tie a bow, exactly, or even to "hammer it home." To use the hammer metaphor, I think that reading a book can feel like tapping a nail, slowly sinking it into wood. Maybe the climax strikes a little harder. But at the end of a book, the nail is never all the way into the wood. A quotation at the beginning of a book makes me wonder if I should start hitting. A quotation at the end of a book would be a final swing with extra follow-through. I think that this jolt might shake me in a way that makes the whole nail more important.

I feel like writing because I have been reading and because I am still so destabilized from my nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment