These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Just because I saw her tonight and it made this whole senario seem like such bullshit

Here's what I did with Benzos/my newer thoughts.



When I have misunderstood I start erasing things.



I am barely breathing, and I'm saying WRONG WRONG WRONG and wiping my memories along with my conclusions. Everything becomes fuzzy: the sun melts into the clouds and I fall into oceans of grass with no blades, all dull.



Maybe I hate to be wrong so much that I try to forget that it ever happened, or maybe I'm just trying to purify my information and throw out invalid data points.



I would rather remember; I would rather be confused but remember it all. I would rather not have to dig for smiles because a subconscious part of my brain has decided that the important part was all of the tears that I didn't see.



I want to scream when I feel my mind moving like this. I want to install magnets under my fingertips that attract all of the beauty I have experienced, strong magnets that won't let it slip away because something pushes me to wash my hands while I hopelessly watch the salt and dirt flow into a porcelain sink. I want the sound of my voice to sing callouses over my life and protect it, there, where it is. I want to always be touching it.



Here is an example. The biggest loss of my life, since I have never been to a funeral. I remember when it started, but only because I wrote it down. I drafted our demise. The memory is like acupuncture needles in my chest, shaking with me when I cry, making raised red spots around the entry wound to remind me that they were there.



She received a felony in the mail. The wrinkled white rectangle spit out pills, round and white, like small wedding cakes. She saved them for weeks. With no particular auspicious sign, a warm, dark night slipped the envelope into her pocket, and a pill into her mouth.



She ran into traffic. Oregon traffic at 11 pm, so I really mean the road. Am I her mother? She was chasing a dog. We parted ways.



I found her again. Her core dragged her extremities like excess baggage. Her heavy head drooped to her heavy chest and heaved to look left or right. Her feet fell so hard that it's a wonder the concrete didn't shatter. She couldn't remember, which thrilled her, because the pills were supposed to make her forget.



She drooped and I sat, and the carpet held our bodies like a nest. “I'm taking another one,” she slurred. I ask about the proper dose and she said that she'd take all of them tonight. What could I do but trust the friend who sent them?



She didn't seem happy. She didn't seem sad. She seemed in touch with her emotions, in the kind of way that lets them boil over before they're completely processed. But her emotions often get stuck in the processing stage so I thought it could be healthy. It seemed alright. She didn't want to remember, after all.

We follow our way into a new building, letting others chose our direction. The rooms were brighter, and we sneaked away to find an unlocked door with the remnants of an Official Event left lonely, waiting for us. It was beautiful: a gift and a privilege strewn with crumbs and cookies that hadn't found a host. We stood together, invisible to the world, watching through a window in the door. Bodies walked by that never looked our way. We could hear the hullabaloo of Friday Night, so far removed from this quiet treasure. Vases of flowers littered the room. I stuck elements of the centerpieces in my hair, mostly roses and other blossoms. It was pinned in such a way as to accommodate many of them, and my head felt heavy afterwards. Maybe I felt closer to her. I wanted to put some in her hair. "Only the ugly ones," she said.

Our raid complete, we returned to the outdoors and spun dizzy circles all the way to the bus stop. We sat on cool steps and she opened the envelope for the last time. “Where are they?” There was only one pill left. She was confused, had she lost them? No, I explained that she'd taken all of them. The last one slid past her tongue at almost the same time that her frustration found words. She yelled at the people walking in the dark, too far to see: “Why don't you see how smart you are?” I guess I shouldn't have assumed that it was them she was talking to. How loud do you have to yell to reach your own ears? A question for the ages.

She said that she was unhappy, and I said that I didn't know how to make her happy. She said it wasn't so important to be happy, especially here and now. I told her that I loved her, so much, like it was a consolation prize. She said I didn't love her enough. She asked me if I was crying. She was surprised.

The bus came and the driver asked what she had taken. “It ended in -azapine” she said, and he laughed, saying that they all ended in -azapine. She fell off of the seats, denied the need for a safety belt, fell softly between the passengers' feet. She tried to follow people as they dismounted, mistaking their journey home for a pilgrimage to a party. She asked me to marry her and for some reason it scared me. We got out at a friend's house, and I was unsure if I should follow her in. I went with her to make sure that there was someone there to look after her. Ask she walked up the stairs she said “I want to die” and she laughed and I stopped breathing.

It's not the kind of thing that you can predict an arc for. Now I'm talking about the depression as well as the drugs. The next evening she made sushi and tortured us by drinking alcohol as we begged her to remember that people die from that cocktail. She claimed that if she could make sushi she was sober. Later she insisted: “I remember making sushi!” as if her arms hadn't fallen like rocks, as if her neck had bones in it, as if she'd spoken with her own voice.


I don't know if we're at the end of this trip. I don't remember what it sounded like when she giggled her flippantly suicidal remark. But I remember the angles that the stair's made at that instant. I remember a gleam from the banister. What am I forgetting?

We are far apart now, physically and emotionally. I can't talk to her. It's too much for her and she doesn't want to speak to me anymore. She says I've made it worse, she says it as if she was prey and I hunted her.

It's not my friend in that body, it hasn't been her for years. Or at least, that's what my censorship tells me. I know that we held hands once but I can't feel her fingers. I remember looking into her eyes and saying a spark that lit them, glowing reflections of the incandescent bulb by her bed. I remember clay in her hair, her laughter echoing in the cups she made. But I feel like I'm inventing the memories. It's as if I wasn't actually there. I was a ghost and she must have looked through me. I couldn't have been there for her joy because when I walk past P204 I can still see the silhouette of my outstretched hand when she told me not to touch her. I can't be in two places at once. I feel a marionette string holding up my arm as we get further apart, like a tug on my sleeve as I stand in the hall and try to find smudges from erasers beneath graphite lines that I'm suddenly pushed to retrace and retrace. They're bold mistakes.

She says that she will contact me if something changes, and that I should do the same. I should have called her at the beginning, that night, such a difficult night, and stopped this river from carving such a majestic canyon in us. We used to throw around the word “soulmate” but now it sticks in my throat--who designed that word--it is ugly and dry and fits no mold that I have in my mouth.

This is not the story that I meant to tell. I wanted to remind myself that I don't remember the pieces that she said were lies. Eating chocolates in your room is a fantasy. Driving north is a dream. Our feet, side-by-side, in the cradle made of couches, like the smell of food from a restaurant I have never been to.

These pictures are left out in the sun, and they are fading. I took the glossy prints of her off of my wall, because they broke my heart, I put them in a drawer. Some things are lost to darkness, some things are lost to light, but I'm not sure that she has a shadow because it has been so long since I saw her.


It's the end of the story and I've found oxygen in my lungs again. I doubt everything. I will make up these tales until I don't know what is real and when I see her again I want the truth to drench me and saturate my mind. At this point, I will believe anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment