These aren't secrets, but I haven't told anyone either.
I may sound bipolar but I mostly just write about really great things or really bad things. Extremes, right?
I promise my feelings are continuous over the real emotions.

Friday, December 12, 2025

Beauty - Sovereignty - Patience

 Once upon a time, my friend and I did a tarot reading about my love life. The framework resonated, and I ended up writing poems about two exes and two world-shifting crushes. The framework doesn't seem to apply as clearly to my most recent breakup. Maybe that is progress, or at least the attempt at it. Maybe I just need the emotional dust to settle, and I'll see it.

Typing these up here so that they don't get lost when I recycle the notebook that holds them, which is mostly Mossy Minds reading notes and some Morning Pages. 


III

The reason is beauty

Yes yes the curve of his hip, the crook of his teeth

 But more so everything else

The world turning from circle to sphere

Birds and rocks and joshua trees suddenly animated and speaking to me

Big horned sheep peeking at us before sunset

A car with a birthday, a house with a reputation

The problem is sovereignty 

He said life always feels like a mess

When I lamented that he'd never known me with stability

I should have know that after five yeras

I might not be the one depriving myself

That borrowing feels very different from sharing

No matter if I think it's a gift

The tool is patience

I often fall in love while I'm already in love

I always run past the finish line

Because I don't want the race to be over

I can wait without knowing what for

Without knowing if I'm moving or standing still


I

The reason is beauty

We created together

Structures that brought silliness to the world

We broke reality and rebuilt it in a bubble

When we broke up I was fine

But when I saw him afterwards we cried and got together again

Twice

Anal on acid to consummate our second reunion

His mind only pictures

My work all stories

His jobs wrenching, me quitting mine to cheat on him in Cuba

To tell him when I got back

To make up on a beach in the Grand Canyon

The problem is sovereignty

Our home together disappeared

He moved us to the mountains while I was across the ocean

The mining shack smelled like a hundred animals

I painted the walls, I learned the forest roads

The wheels on our cars kept losing purchase

The hills too steep, the gravel too loose

In a place he belonged and I did not

The tool is patience

First love is gets a number for a reason

Innocence and growth find themselves at odds


II

The reason is beauty

I stared into his almond eyes for four minutes

We had been saving each other - best for last

I pretended to be afraid of the dark so that he'd walk me home

The problem is sovereignty

His vanity is alien

We gave his girlfriends nicknames

My abandon was too strong

And when I moved on he missed it

Six years later he remembered how my mouth made him come through the antidepressants 

The tool is patience

He texted me on Thanksgiving that he loves me

9 months too late. 6 years too late.

Now I know that he chose not to give me his best

And I deserve more than he can offer 


IV

The reason is beauty

I hear sounds I wouldn't have heard

I seek puzzles I wouldn't have solved

I taste delights that belong more to him than me

I make beauty for us to share

We show each other new horizons

Blackberries on the highway

Fishing in the Yunnan mountains

His smile is the best I can imagine

His eyes are big without his glasses

The problem is sovereignty

I might offer too much. More than I get back and more than he wants.

He stays a mystery. I tell him so much but still surprise him. 

We don't see each other more than once a week but I think about him every day

The tool is patience

We have each changed so much

How I like him has changed, and will change more

There is no right answer

And I can rest in shades of grey

No comments:

Post a Comment